[Sugar-devel] wordgroupz ( A vocabulary building app) ported to sugar

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Wed Oct 20 05:25:23 EDT 2010

On 20 October 2010 22:04, Ratnadeep Debnath <rtnpro at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 10:38 PM, Gary Martin
> <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > So, 100% behind the wordgroupz activity name? Just wanted to double check
> before re-doing the icon again.
> Since the original name of the application is wordgroupz, I think that
> the icon should reflect that. More importantly, wordgroupz is an
> application for collecting words and studying them. So I am thinking
> of some activity names like :
> * collect words
> * build your vocabulary
> Which one sounds good?

I think "Collect" would be an excellent name for an Activity. It's a verb
with a single word. I don't think you should worry about being too accurate
with the name, because 1) it inhibits growing the application later, 2) we
want to encourage discovery - telling too much doesn't allow learners to
explore, 3) it enables other locations to translate the Activity into their
own language and 4) consistency with other Activities makes the whole of
Sugar's brand stronger.

Many Sugar Activities are derivatives of other applications, but they have
all changed their name for Sugar. As one example, Sugar uses Write, which is
a version of AbiWord.

> Will it be better to have the name "wordgroupz" in the icon or the
> activity name in the icon?

If you can, remove all words from the icon. Translating strings within SVG
files seems like an unnecessary hassle.

Regards, Tim.