[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUCE] Patches topic category was: [Systems] http[s]://lists.sugarlabs.org down

Frederick Grose fgrose at sugarlabs.org
Sun Oct 17 10:25:49 EDT 2010

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 3:46 AM, Sascha Silbe <
sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org> wrote:

> Excerpts from Bernie Innocenti's message of Sun Oct 17 01:50:15 +0200
2010:

> {...}
>

> > > I wanted to add a "PATCH" topic to sugar-devel so people like JT4Sugar
> > > can filter out the review traffic.
> >
> > Very nice idea.
>
> Done. How can I check whether it worked (other than subscribing from a
> second address)? I don't see anything regarding topics in
> /var/log/mailman/...

Announcing this to the mailing list so those with existing topics set will
not miss PATCH traffic.  (The default seems to have set this to off. So
anyone who has set topics to avoid, for example the buildbot notices, may
adjust their settings.)

>From the settings page: (http://lists.sugarlabs.org/options/sugar-devel)

Which topic categories would you like to subscribe to?

By selecting one or more topics, you can filter the traffic on the mailing
list, so as to receive only a subset of the messages. If a message matches
one of your selected topics, then you will get the message, otherwise you
will not.

If a message does not match any topic, the delivery rule depends on the
setting of the option below. If you do not select any topics of interest,
you will get all the messages sent to the mailing list.

 Releases (Details)<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/options/sugar-devel/fgrose@gmail.com/?VARHELP=Releases>
Announcements(Details)<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/options/sugar-devel/fgrose@gmail.com/?VARHELP=Announcements>
Sugar
on a Stick(Details)<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/options/sugar-devel/fgrose@gmail.com/?VARHELP=Sugar+on+a+Stick>
Patches
and patch reviews
(Details)<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/options/sugar-devel/fgrose@gmail.com/?VARHELP=Patches+and+patch+reviews>
Buildbot
notices(Details)<http://lists.sugarlabs.org/options/sugar-devel/fgrose@gmail.com/?VARHELP=Buildbot+notices>

> > Can you also add a topic for !PATCH? Some people may like it.
>
> I'm not sure that's a good idea. For one thing it doesn't play nice with
> how topic filters work. If someone wants to filter out patches (instead
> of receiving only patches), the way to achieve that is to check all
> other topics and the "Do you want to receive messages that do not match
> any topic filter?" option.
>
> The other question that comes up is whether mailman assigns messages to
> all matching topics or just the first one. I haven't found any answer
> to this when I searched for it some time ago. Since the admin interface
> let's you choose the insertion point for new topics, mailman probably
> matches just the first topic, so a !PATCH filter wouldn't work anyway.
>
> Sascha

P.S.:  The regular expression for ANNOUNCE has a misspelling.

Name: Announcements
Pattern (as regexp): \[ANNOUCE\]
including: a new sucrose release, feature freeze, development cycle feature
process, services outage, upcoming trac activities after a release, API
changes.

P.P.S.:  The other expressions should be reviewed.

Name: Patches and patch reviews
Pattern (as regexp): \[[^]]*PATCH[^]]*\]

Name: Buildbot notices
Pattern (as regexp): The Buildbot$

Name: Sugar on a Stick
Pattern (as regexp): \[SoaS\]