[Sugar-devel] Dbus signal when ebook switch is activated

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Thu Oct 14 04:27:00 EDT 2010

Excerpts from Gonzalo Odiard's message of Wed Oct 13 17:33:50 +0200 2010:

> bus.add_signal_receiver(my_func,
>                         dbus_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device",
>                         signal_name="PropertyModified")

HAL has been deprecated [1] and will not be available anymore at some
point in the future, so I advise against relying on it.

I don't know what the best way to listen to an ebook switch is. acpid
might be worth a look:

>> In addition to rule files, acpid also accepts connections on a UNIX
>> domain socket (/var/run/acpid.socket by default). Any application may
>> connect to this socket. Once connected, acpid will send the text of all
>> ACPI events to the client. The client has the responsibility of
>> filtering for messages about which it cares. acpid will not close the
>> client socket except in the case of a SIGHUP or acpid exiting.

Asking for advice on devkit-devel [2] might be a good idea as well.
UPower already has a LidIsClosed property (and sends property change
notifications [4]) so it might be straightforward to add support for
ebook switches.

Sascha

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2008-May/011560.html