[Sugar-devel] Possible copyright infringement in activities.sl.o

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 09:09:00 EDT 2010

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Gabriel Eirea <geirea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, we have the same problem at ceibaljam.org.
>
> The thing is, these games are being uploaded by 13-yr old kids. They
> discovered how to package activities in two ways:
>
> 1) using Pippy's "export as .xo" function. They download games from
> pygame.org and copy them at the right place in one of Pippy's
> generated xo files.
>
> 2) using Flavio's flash wrapper
> (http://ceibaljam.org/drupal/sites/default/files/JAMactivityFlash.activity.xo).
> This simply requires putting swf files in a folder and zipping the xo
> file.
>
> I think it is a very interesting result, but I agree it is difficult
> to make them understand about licenses and such. We had to take down
> many projects from ceibaljam.org because of this. I contacted them and
> tried to explain the situation.
>
> ¿Anyone has any suggestion on how to proceed such that we don't
> discourage them to hack further?

Maybe we should encourage them to set up their own hosting site and in
the process establish their own guidelines for what they consider
publishable. Having to be personally responsible for establishing such
guidelines will be a great opportunity for them to learn. (In my
experience it is often the case that when the children are in the
position of establishing the rules, they end up with a very
conservative framework.)

-walter

> Regards,
>
> Gabriel
>

> 2010/10/9 Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This morning, I tested juegos_flash-2. It's just a sample of free (no cost)
>> flash games from the Internet. I don't think Sugar Labs is be allowed to
>> distribute them.
>>
>> Apart from these legal concerns, I also have some ethical ones. The package
>> includes a game that teaches users how to mix cocktails. Another one of the
>> activities is called "Smack your ex".
>>
>> Here are my raw notes from the session:
>>
>> ## juegos_flash-2
>>  - coloured icon
>>  - flash would wouldn't render the chess board at the start
>>  - seems to be a compilation of non-free flash games from various sites
>>  - gnash gave me English menus, everything else in Spanish
>>
>>  - "Penales"
>>    - "All rights reserved Flashfooty.com" FTW
>>    - games failed to load after 20 secs
>>
>>  - "Penales2"
>>   -  "Games1.com" Ad ??
>>   - in English
>>   - selecting a team didn't seem to do anything
>>
>>  - "EncontrarObjectos"
>>    - failed to load in < 20 secs on XO-1.5
>>
>>  - "Bar"
>>    - "Welcome to our pre-party cocktail mixing game for cocktail
>>      connoisseurs... or not as the case may be!" - omg, it's actually
>>      a game about alcohol consumption
>>    - kinda cute, in it's own way. Provides instructions along the way,
>>      which is what I had expected from spirolaterals
>>
>>  - "Cocinarpizza"
>>    - seemed unresponsive to the XO's mousepad
>>
>>  - "Ajedrez"
>>    - argh, flashing chess game again
>>
>>  - "Futbal"
>>    - ran very slowly
>>    - when missing a goal, the text is "undefined"
>>
>>  - "Tesoro"
>>    - loaded well, a little slow on XO-1.5
>>    - teacher seemed to be silent
>>
>>  - "Pes2002"
>>    - heavily screen flickering (gave up after 20sec)
>>
>>  - "Bolos"
>>    - failed to load once "Play" was clicked"
>>
>>  - "QueHariasConTuEx"
>>    - from "whackyourex.com"
>>    - game does what it says
>>

>> Regards, Tim