[Sugar-devel] Ticket no #2210 words don't changed when language is changed

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri Oct 8 04:16:43 EDT 2010

Hi David,

thanks for those words.

On 10/07/2010 08:08 PM, David Farning wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 1:54 AM, Ishan Bansal<ishan at seeta.in>  wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am working on the ticket http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/2210.
>>
>> To solve the above bug i am thinking of clearing the text in the text to be
>> translate box when ever the language to be translated is being changed.
>> Please provide suggestion on any better approach to deal with this bug.
>
> Over the last month this list has seen a significant increase in
> requests for pointers.
>
> Asking questions is an healthy part of learning, but asking for
> 'pointers' is _not_ going to be particularly helpful.  It shifts the
> effort to the person answering the question rather then the person
> asking the question.  Effectively asking questions is an art.  Asking
> question is so important that Eric Raymond, author of the Cathedral
> and the Bazaar, has written and maintained an article about how to ask
> questions the smart way at
> http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .

+1 This article is more than worth a read. It helps you to understand at
least the complexity of the issue. Then, the rest is applying.

> I strongly suggest reading the article.  The time spent learning how
> to ask questions the smart way... and asking questions the smart way
> will pay for itself very quickly.  Questions asked the smart way will
> generally get quicker responses and better answers.
>
> Two additional points
>   -- If you are new to the list please clearly describe 1) What you
> know, 2) What you don't know, 3) and what you think you have to learn
> to solve your problem.  This provides the person answering the
> question a sense of scope. The answer someone provides is based on the
> knowledge and needs for the person asking the question.
>
> -- Answer as many questions as you ask.

This is a very good point. Those that have progressed already can help
the others by applying the things they have learned. Especially when it
comes to reviewing newcomer patches I hope the "senior developers" can
skip the first rounds as they are already handled by other knowledgeable
developers.

Regards,
    Simon