[Sugar-devel] Proposal of dotted activity version number

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Mon Oct 4 19:16:52 EDT 2010

On 5 October 2010 10:25, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> I agree with the proposal.
>
> --
> James Cameron
> System Test Coordinator
> One Laptop per Child

I tentatively agree.

My strong preference is for Activities to rapidly increase their integer
numbers, rather than creating a complex tree of point releases. My feeling
is that a tree of three or more levels deep adds complexity to new Learners.
It goes against the 'low floor, no ceiling' philosophy by requiring that
Learners learn a new counting system, on top of integer increments. It also
adds to the pressure to maintain several versions of the software
concurrently.

While I agree that maintainence releases are important, I would prefer that
community etiquette is developed that discourages version numbers that look
like "2.4.12".  Developers should be strongly encouraged to migrate to a new
integer release when practical. Most activities are quite discrete. They
tend not to add many features once they have reached a desired level of
maturity.

Tim.