[Sugar-devel] Replacing Illegal character ':' in username (SL #2152)

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Oct 4 15:15:37 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-10-04 at 20:05 +0530, Dipankar Patro wrote:

> I am unable to find a way to connect to my network while running XS.
> I actually installed XS software on VMware under Windows 7, and its
> showing me CUI. Got totally confused and finally left it. :(

Yes, the schoolserver is not supposed to have a GUI. It is usually
managed from remote thorough ssh or cluster management tools such as
Puppet.

> Bernie, is there no online school-server available where I can connect
> to and check?

There's schoolserver.sugarlabs.org, but it doesn't accept registration
from remote, for security reasons.

The easier way to debug this is installing the idmgr package on any
Fedora box and then trick the XO into connecting to it by pointing the
"schoolserver" hostname at it.

> Findings on Bug #1976:
> - Initially I was not able to track whether the jabber_server we are
> setting is actually being set or not. (I am using sugar-emulator in
> Ubuntu). Thanks to Aleskey who figured out how Sugar is storing info
> (jabber_server) in a second instance of gconf!

Yes, we do wacky things in jhbuild to make everything run unprivileged,
without touching the system-wide configuration.

> - Now, Bernie, I am confused with the bug :(. What are we really
> trying to remove?
> It would be great if you could explain the statement:
> "
> to keep the old behavior, this patch would also need to set the
> default value of /desktop/sugar/collaboration/jabber_server to
> "schoolserver"
> "
> ^^ Does this mean that I need to set the jabber_server property to
> "schoolserver" at the time of first boot?

No, what I meant is that the code shoould use "schoolserver" as the
registration hostname in case the GConf key is unset or an empty string.

Currently, there are two distinct codepaths: one for the XO and one for
regular laptops. We want only case that works the same for both. The
only difference in the XO case will be that we use the serial number and
uuid from the Open Firmware manufacturing data.