[Sugar-devel] Advice request: XO sound recording

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Mon Oct 4 13:33:19 EDT 2010

OK, James and Sasha - then I need additional advice.

There is the Object Chooser method, which seems to do what I need (a
*general* audio files listing is the appropriate), but is basically
inoperable on XO-1. OTOH, the FLOSS manual solution(s) would seem to be
considerably more complex (is this correct? Please recall I am a beginning
Python programmer.)

I am leaning toward investigating James' algorithms except for one fact: I'm
not sure that Sugar 0.82 is important to me. Facts: Record on the XO-1 only
outputs Ogg Speex audio, and Csound on the XO-1 doesn't accept any kind of
Ogg. OTOH, with 0.84 and up, Record outputs Ogg Vorbis and Csound handles
the same (on 0.84 Strawberry, a libsndfile update is required). Since Record
is the primary way that children will get soundfiles into the Journal, I
wonder whether 0.82 is worth the trouble (i.e., the capability of importing
child-generated soundfiles).

I know I've not mentioned eToys, but I'm not aware that actual soundfile
objects that it produces are available through the Journal. (If so, I may
need to rethink - and would appreciate comments by Bert.) It is also true
that soundfiles in various acceptable formats (WAV, AIFF, VORBIS) can be
imported to the Journal via wireless, and presumably accessed there. This
*might* be an important capability, even for the XO-1.

I *am* convinced that accessing the Journal (nothing else) is the way to go.

So?

Art Hunkins