[Sugar-devel] Proposal of dotted activity version number

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Oct 4 12:37:51 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 12:50:37PM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
>Short version:  Gogogo!
>
>Thanks!
>

>> Slightly longer: Make sure to strictly define the semantics of
>> non-integer parts.
>>
>> It might seem obvious at first - "peru" being "slight fork of
>> micro-version 5". But perhaps sometimes a local branch wants to
>> release a sneak preview, e.g. "almost micro-version 6".  Should that
>> then be labeled 23.2.6-peru or (since 5-peru is taken already)
>> 23.2.6.peru2?
>>
>> In Debian we allow both letters and digits in all parts, and use
>> special sign "~" to indicate "almost" and "+" to indicate "just
>> above". And we treat 0 (zero) equal to a missing trailing part. And
>> more nitpicking...
>>
>> I do not, however, recommend you to adopt such complex scheme.  I
>> suggest instead (as might actually be what imply by the above
>> summary) that the 3 first parts are strictly digits and intended only
>> for mainline releases, while an optional 4th part is strictly for
>> non-mainline use and allows [a-z0-9] (but nothing else - no dash,
>> underscore, capital or non-ASCII letters, +~ or whatever). Then use
>> simple C locale sort order, and leave it to local branches if they
>> want to use only letters or also leading and/or trailing digits.
>>
> I am planing be more strict: the last part is only [a-zA-Z]*

>Then the next to 23.2.6-peru will be 23.2.7-peru or 23.2.6.1-peru. The
>last part does not imply version, only is a helper to the local
>deployments.

So which package will be favored if all of the following are available:

   23.2.7
   23.2.7-peru
   23.2.7-bolivia

?

If last part "does not imply version", then they are all "flavors" of
same version 23.2.7, yet one might be a bugfix of the other and the
third a feature enhancement.

Also, if you permit local branches to add more version parts, are they
then allowed to add yet another part if need be?  What is the strict
logic?

Or do you not want a strict logic (now, but learn as you move on)?

And why a "more strict" part if it does not imply version?  And if it
does get used to resolve which of multiple flavors win an election, what
is then the sorting algorithm when you permit both capital and lowercase
letters?

Regards,

  - Jonas