[Sugar-devel] Advice request: XO sound recording

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Sun Oct 3 16:10:36 EDT 2010

Daniel,

Thanks for the response. I see now that Record-79 (and thereabouts) does
indeed output (for audio) Vorbis rather than Speex.

I was confused because I was working with previous versions - namely 66 and
67, which do output Speex. This is because I have serious problems with 79
on
all systems, 0.84 - 0.88 SoaS (as well as 0.84 on the XO-1.5).

My problems with v79 are these:
0.84 (SoaS and XO-1.5): a less than 2' recording is saved at the *end* of a
2' file, with
silence to fill in up to 2' preceding the sound. Also, the substantial
opening
record click (noise burst) is included in the recording (a concluding
burst is not). The recording fidelity is very good.

0.86-88: after pressing stop while recording, the program fails; if it is
saving, it never returns, nor records an *audio* entry to the Journal.
Otherwise the activity exits normally.

The error log shows a plethora of the following entry:
1286135487.049402 ERROR record:glive.py: Buffer overrun in audioqueue (500
buffers, 160000 bytes, 5000000000 time)

I'd very much like to use Record-79, with its good fidelity and its ability
to save Vorbis files to the Journal; so I hope these issues can be dealt
with.

Eight weeks ago I filed a ticket 2147 describing issues found with Record.
I'll follow up with another bug report specifying the above.

Art Hunkins