[Sugar-devel] Problem with gstreamer espeak plugin

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon Nov 29 22:23:59 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:25:23PM +0000, James Simmons wrote:
> Aleksey,
>
> I recently tried to use text to speech on a French file with Read
> Etexts and it behave really strangely.  When speaking a page the
> highlight jumps ahead of the word being spoken.  Speech works fine,
> it's just the highlight that gets messed up.  It does this on most
> pages, so I'll give one example.  On page three or so the value for
> the tag name goes up to 57, then skips to 145:
>
> word_count 53
> word_count 53
> word_count 54
> word_count 54
> word_count 54
> word_count 55
> word_count 55
> word_count 56
> word_count 56
> word_count 57
> word_count 57
> word_count 145
> word_count 145
> word_count 145
> word_count 145
> word_count 146
> word_count 146
> word_count 146
> word_count 147
> word_count 147
> word_count 148
> word_count 148
> word_count 149

It is espeak bug,
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3123010&group_id=159649&atid=812675
there is a patch that works for me. You can build espeak from sources
if don't want to wait for new version in distros.
(I had to tweak svn version, looks like it is in the middle of starting
using libsonic library and build process is not settled down. you can
just build one of recent versions w/o sonic.)

There is also another mark tracking related bug
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3123018&group_id=159649&atid=812675

I also fixed a bug in gst-espeak when current mark might return to previous position
http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/gst-plugins-espeak/gst-plugins-espeak-0.3.5.tar.gz

--
Aleksey