[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Extending activity microformat spec to include optional olpc_activity_size

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Mon Nov 29 12:13:21 EST 2010

On 29 November 2010 09:16, Anish Mangal <anishmangal2002 at gmail.com> wrote:
> In my little testing experience, this takes a lot more than 1-2 seconds for
> a group of activities (such as this [1]).

But the only case in which you'd have to run so many queries would be
when you have *none* of those activities installed.

> The updater works as
> (1) checking and listing the updates
> (2) the user selecting which updates to be installed
> (3) downloading and installing selected bundles
>
> The delay in question happens at (1) while the user is waiting for the list
> to appear (and that's why its important).

I'd suggest dropping the size field from the listing then, if its
really taking too long.
(again, I feel the only realistic deployment scenarios make size
querying quick: school server hosts activities, or school server
webcache caches activities, so I'm not entirely convinced by your
argument)

> Your idea of only getting the size if the available bundle is newer or not
> presently installed makes sense. I'll try and include this in the code.

I assume your code of reference is the 0.84 updater - the last
implementation of a microformat-based updater. If it's not, you should
certainly examine it closely. This updater behaves in the way I have
described.

Daniel