[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Extending activity microformat spec to include optional olpc_activity_size

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Mon Nov 22 10:51:07 EST 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 07:23 +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
>> You can try microformat ASLO updater from
>> http://activities-testing.sugarlabs.org/services/micro-format.php?name=fructose
>
> Nice! I'm not sure about the size in KB... bytes would be more natural
> for machine parsing, but kilobytes look better in formatted HTML.

I avoided doing this in the original specification because I meant the
microformat to be human-writable, and I didn't expect humans to be
able to reliably update these fields correctly.

Besides, the size can be ascertained with an HTTP HEAD request, which
takes very little bandwidth.  Checksum should also be HTTP ETag.
Again, less than 100 bytes.  I believe that my original implementation
did both of these optimizations, although I wouldn't be surprised if
some servers didn't properly support HTTP HEAD and/or ETag.  But I
believe it is the server which should be fixed in that case.
  --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )