[Sugar-devel] Sugar UI Dictator

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Sun Nov 21 13:11:54 EST 2010

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 06:33:52PM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> > On Sat, 20 Nov 2010 at 08:42:42 -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
> >> But adding a bunch of developers to the design team will not help it
> >> accomplish its design goals.
> >
> > Two comments:
> >
> >  1. I don't see "a bunch of developers"; I see specific people
> > (Gary, Martin,     Eben, Christian, Bernie, ...) with specific
> > talents, predispositions, and     availabilities.
>
> Even on your short list, I see people who are not designers...

> there is a call to add more non-designers.

I'm not sure if you thought I was calling for non-designers to join,
but I don't see such a call.  I just see a call for people that can
contribute to the design team.  I'd be hesitant to say the
"non-designers" on that list can add nothing to a design discussion.
I think in the absence of real designers, as long as we try not to
overreach ourselves (perhaps you or just our good sense keeping us
from this), there is something that can be accomplished...

> I don't want to divert non-designers into making design decisions

I hope we don't have to get into an "is no decision better than
decision that might be sub-optimal", because I'm not sure where I
stand on that.  I think that Gary and you can keep anyone from
overstepping themselves well enough to risk it until you/we get more
proper designers.

> I am also actively recruiting [for the Design Team]

Good to know.  If this is going to get in the way of that (I'm not
saying you said that), please let us know and I'll move on to other
things.

> -walter

Martin