[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Messages notification

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Thu Nov 18 03:39:15 EST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 12:10:23PM -0600, David Farning wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 2:07 AM, Martin Abente
> > <martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> * Why the user should start an activity to know what is happening?
> >
> > Why/when does the user want to know "what's happening"? Users are busy
> > doing something interesting...
> >
> > We should interrupt/hassle the user never. Or extremely seldom.
> >
> MartinL
>
> I think this is one of the times where we need to agree to disagree.
> There is a very good chance that this patch set will never make it
> into Sugar.Main. What you are saying is 100% true from an end users
> point of view.
>
> This patch has a place in Dextrose.  Dextrose is looking at the
> question, "How can we provide support staff the necessary information
> to effectively fix and/or report problems to a higher level of service
> and support?"
>
> [description of a "support staff"]

You forgot to explain why you think answering that question using such
a "support staff" is usefully done using for or so messages of ~60 or
fewer English characters[1] and while not telling them about the Log
Activity.

tch's proposal is more than the point you've responded to, and
looks[1] promising (IMO, as long as it doesn't interrupt / hassle the
user more than we already do), but I don't understand why you think
the notifications will make a big difference for you in the field.

I agree it doesn't have a place in Sugar.  I guess you'll discuss the
Dextrose-specific bits on the desxtrose mailing list.  I'm interested
to hear what you find out.

> david

Martin

1. http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Corner_notification_message_only_history.png