[Sugar-devel] More new and revised chapters of "Make Your Own Sugar Activities!" ready for review, feedback

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Sat Nov 6 22:11:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 10:35:06AM -0600, Jim Simmons wrote:
> In this latest draft I have added a not quite complete chapter on
> Making Shared Activities.  The part that is missing is on using DBus
> Tubes to remotely call methods, and it's missing because I've never
> done it.  I do plan to learn how to do this, come up with a decent
> example program (something fancier than Hello Mesh), and write it up
> in the book, but it will take awhile.  The new draft is at:
>
> http://objavi.flossmanuals.net/books/ActivitiesGuideSugar-en-2010.02.03-18.11.39.pdf
>
> I found out yesterday that copying code from PDF's, either the OBJAVI!
> version here or the one the Floss Manuals website produces, does NOT
> work.  In one case you get garbage and in the second you get code with
> no indents.  I have set up a Git repository for the sample code in the
> book and I will change all the references to copying and pasting code
> to "Open file name in the Git project you downloaded".
>
> I actually had to learn things about Activity Sharing to write the new
> chapter, so I am VERY concerned that what I think I learned is
> correct.  I don't want to lead anyone astray!
>
> I have reached the point in the book where the stuff I already know is
> pretty much done.  From now on I'll be learning as I go.  If you've
> been giving this project the benefit of the doubt now is a good time
> to stop doing that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James Simmons

I've found minor issue on
http://en.flossmanuals.net/ActivitiesGuideSugar/SugarDebugging

    You can also set the logging level outside your program code using an environment variable.  For instance, in Sugar .82 and lower you can start sugar-emulator like this:
    SUGAR_LOGGER_LEVEL=debug sugar-emulator
    The way you accomplish the same thing in Sugar .84 and greater is to edit the file ~/.sugar/debug and uncomment the line that sets the SUGAR_LOGGER_LEVEL.

"SUGAR_LOGGER_LEVEL=debug sugar-emulator" will will work in 0.84+ as
well if ~/.sugar/debug doesn't reset SUGAR_LOGGER_LEVEL, i.e.,
~/.sugar/debug just overrides current values right before launching
sugar.

--
Aleksey