[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Messages notification

Martin Abente martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 17:02:28 EDT 2010

Hello amigos,

Recently I encountered many situations where a system-wide
notification-messages system is required as a basis for many bug fixes or
enhancements. I am not talking about the messages that are related to an
specific activity or its context, in many of those cases the current alert
widgets are effective and proper methods. Currently, Sugar does not have a
mechanism to communicate to users different kind of information about sugar
itself. For example:

1. Important system events (automatic backup running, new update available,
journal being almost full,etc)
2. Connectivity status changes or errors (connecting to a wifi network or
3G)
3. Critical sugar errors, right now most of those errors are invisible to
users (this make testing process very difficult)
4. I am sure others can imagine more use cases.

So I would like to list two extensions to the current notification system.
Basically what we need is:

1. Simple text messages display.
2. Messages manager, this would help the user to see what messages have been
delivered in the current session, so they could react to those events (for
example, reporting bugs).

I believe this feature could be a huge plus to dextrose and and sugar
mainstream, therefore I invite everyone to share their ideas on how this
feature could work and look.

Saludos
Martin (tch) Abente