[Sugar-devel] Appearance Customization

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Tue Nov 2 16:26:00 EDT 2010

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 09:48:15PM +0430, Mike Dawson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess the crux of the issue is the link between the developers (of
> whom some are working on deployments and dealing with features that
> are important to them) and the ground out in places like here.
>
> If we want to create something more inclusive I'm sure a lot of
> deployments would like to help out - but not everyone is able to deal
> with FOSS style systems.

I think I understand your request and issue and I sympathize (see
below for some concrete suggestions).  I think you've just used a
"FOSS-style system": convince people that can help with the current
problem to help you.  When you say "more inclusive", how do you mean?

>  Would it be possible that someone could create a survey that could
> be given to deployments?  We could translate it and carry it out
> here and ask educators, learners etc.  what they want and about
> their priorities.  That could then be fed to developers who could do
> work with their priorities and those of the outside world known.

I think if somebody tried that, they'd get criticised for telling the
deployments what they could have :).  I don't say it's a bad idea -
just that it's hard to create a survey when you don't know the
problems (or the problems would take a few pages of very small font to
list).

> In the meantime I still know our kids want their pretty colours!

To change some colors, edit /usr/share/themes/sugar-72/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.
You can edit the entries in the file, then start a new activity to
test your changes.

The entries you might like to edit include:

style "button"
{

    fg[NORMAL] = "#000000"  #### affects the text color
    fg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"  #### affects the text color

    color["bg_color"] = "#FFFF00"  #### affects the background color

}

...and

style "checkbutton"
{
    fg[NORMAL] = "#FF0000"  #### affects color of text
    fg[PRELIGHT] = "#00FF00"  #### affects color of text
    fg[ACTIVE] = "#00FF00"  #### affects color of text
}

...and

style "entry"
{
    base[NORMAL] = "#FF0000"  #### affects background of text input
    areas
    text[NORMAL] = "#00FF00"  #### affects text color of text input
    areas
}

The documentation includes:

http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.11/gtk-Resource-Files.html#id2851866

> I guess I would have to try and formalize an exact deliverable for the
> bounty

That'd be a really good.

> Regards,
>
> -Mike