[Sugar-devel] #1686 UNSP: Accessibility - virtual keyboard

Andrés Ambrois andresambrois at gmail.com
Fri May 28 00:12:19 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 26 May 2010 06:26:52 pm James Cameron wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 10:57:55AM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> > For this sole strategic reason, I think we need to consider accepting
> > well-written patches that come to us in Spanish or in English.
>
> I agree.  I don't think language, culture of origin, or degree of
> whitespace should prevent acceptance.  They might delay or hinder review
> though, and so use of English should be a recommendation and not a
> requirement.

Lets also think about translation. I would like to be disproved but I think
English is the most popular secondary language in the world, so gettexted
strings should always be in English. I don't believe this completely
invalidates the arguments for accepting code in other languages, but at least
the gap between writing some things in English and writing everything in
English is smaller.

It is also not currently possible to write a useful patch without reading a
lot of existing code (in English), so I don't think whoever does it would be
unable to write it in (at least bad) English.

I don't think having a rigid policy either way, either accepting only patches
in English or accepting any patch, is a good idea. We don't want to discourage
contributors that don't speak English, but neither do we want to have lazy
contributors forgetting about the maintainability of their code.