[Sugar-devel] ANNOUNCE: Sugar 0.88 for the XO-1

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue May 25 17:12:56 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> El Tue, 25-05-2010 a las 19:16 +0100, Peter Robinson escribió:
>
>> Is F-11 still the base OS for this?
>
> Unfortunately, this build is still based on Fedora 11.
>
> Fedora 13 dropped support for the Geode processor, so it's not an
> option. Upgrading to Fedora 12 would be possible, but there are unsolved
> issues with the Geode video driver (jnettlet is working on it).

That's not entirely true. The was no changes in CPU support from F-12
to F-13. What has happened was a change in gcc which causes issues
with F-13 on geode processors. There's a bit missing from gcc for
geode support that would need to be added. dsd and cjb know more of
the details.

> Considering the potential for hard to fix regressions, I felt that
> upgrading to Fedora 12 was probably not worth the effort. Instead, I've
> back-ported some useful things from Fedora 13: metacity-2.30,
> xulrunner-1.9.2.3 and usb_modeswitch-1.1.2.
>
> Someone could try rebasing the builds on Fedora 12 in parallel with us.
> If the result turns out to be very stable, we could consider switching.
> All this would probably have happen before the first beta, so there's
> not much time.

If there's demand for it and its considered a 'good thing' I would
consider pushing sugar 0.88 back to F-12. Not guaranteed, but its
something that could be considered.

Peter