[Sugar-devel] OLPC mesh support in Sugar-0.84

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon May 24 14:03:53 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> I have been thinking about how the "olpc mesh network" and the "default
> adhoc network" can coexist.
>
>  From a user point of view, I think the features can be exclusive.

Yes. I will take "user" as "deployment team"(1) and say: I think it's
safe to say that we need to choose whether to use mesh in the cases
where we see mesh-capable hardware.

1 - In this case, clearly, you want to have all participating XOs to
follow the same behaviour.

> if the mesh hardware is available we use the mesh code and draw the three
> mesh icons in the neighborhood view. If the hardware is not available we
> fallback to the "ad hoc network" code and make that available through
> the three icons in the neighborhood view.

Here, I read "the hardware is available" as "mshN is available". Yes,
I like it. That means that the decision of not using mesh can be taken
when preparing the OS image, by loading a different driver, or passing
options to the driver.

What Walter suggests is also interesting -- people have pointed out
recently that in our 802 OS (and possibly older), NM/Sugar don't
display ad-hoc networks in the network neighbourhood.

Maybe that's resolved these days -- if it is, it means that a laptop
with mesh (XO-1) would also be able to join an ad-hoc network
(XO-1.5).

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions