[Sugar-devel] OLPC mesh support in Sugar-0.84

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed May 19 21:22:52 EDT 2010

El Wed, 19-05-2010 a las 20:52 -0400, Chris Ball escribió:
> Hi,
>
>    > On 19 May 2010 20:45, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>    >> Why not shift the XO-1 users and deployments onto 0.88?
>
>    > You're talking about a huge amount of work here, with only a
>    > small amount of community resources working directly on XO1. And
>    > we've already seen a handful of issues on the list which will
>    > generate difficulties once 0.88 starts running on XOs.
>
> I concur with Martin and Daniel -- large XO-1 deployments simply
> aren't interested in shifting to the latest Sugar releases.  We're
> lucky if we can get them on one new base release every two years.
> (And we haven't been particularly lucky so far.)

Yeah, they're just interested in having all the features of 0.88
backported to 0.84... which yields the same result with a lot more
effort and less collaboration with SoaS and other Sugar distros :-)

I'd expect people to change their mind on the feasibility of a quick
transition to Sugar 0.88 after they see my new build. There are
basically 0 compatibility problems with activities and 0 regressions
caused by switching to a new distro.

Sugar 0.88 itself has some bugs, but is overall in a much better shape
than Sugar 0.84 was when I've first seen it in January. So I'm quite
optimist that we'll meet the August release date, especially if we get a
little help from the Sugar Labs community, OLPC and other deployments.