[Sugar-devel] [ASLO] Release Turtle Blocks-87

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue May 18 16:25:24 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 2:53 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Sugar Labs Activities
> <activities at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> Download Now:
>> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/downloads/file/26893/turtle_art-87.xo
>>
>> Release notes:
>> As of Version 87, Turtle Art will be known as Turtle Blocks. There is a new, "mini" version of Turtle Art that will be known as Turtle Art
>
> I just got hit with the confusion of this. Tried to find TurtleArt in
> ASLO to much frustration (and hilarity of onlookers). Now that I found
> Turtle Blocks, and the release notes explaining the swift rename... I
> got to report that...

Hmm. I thought both would have shown up in the search.

>  - In various places, the SoftwareFormerlyKnownAsTurtleArt is still
> called TurtleArt or turtle_art or org.laptop.TurtleArtActivity .
>
>  - In various other places the software now called TurtleArt is called
> Turtle Art 1, or Turtle Art Mini.
>
> If I have a patched Sugar .88 that allows me to run both, and I do...
> which log is which? Which downloadable .xo file is which program?
>
> Eventually, Prince went back to being called Prince... maybe just to
> stop the teasing... ;-) Either that, or change the names "in full".

The problem is that it raises havoc to change the service name, so I
left that much alone. (This way, when you use the updater, the proper
activity is updated.) But I made the name change itself at the request
of the original author. There are about to be 2-3 more activities in
the family: TurtleArduino, TurtleArtWithSensors, to name two.

Projects should be generally interchangeable between all versions.

-walter

> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions
>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org