[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Deja-Dup (duplicity) as a way to backup-restore Soas Mirabelle Home directory

Thomas C Gilliard satellit at bendbroadband.com
Mon May 17 18:20:45 EDT 2010

Bernie Innocenti wrote:
> El Sun, 16-05-2010 a las 11:30 -0700, Thomas C Gilliard escribió:
>
>> Bernie;
>>
>> Will you make a  .xo or rpm of your backup for standalone instances of
>> Soas?
>>

> All we need is a new control panel item in Sugar and add 3 scripts to
> ds-backup-client. I'm attaching patches to do both things.
>
> You can test this functionality in os180py.
>

> The current implementation works, but is way too crude for upstreaming
> it. My TODO list contains:
>
> 1) Discuss UI refinements proposed by Eben (see his post to sugar-devel)
>
> 2) Integrate the USB backup/restore functionality developed by Esteban
>    for LATU.
>
> 3) Address the concerns of Martin Langhoff regarding destroying the
> current journal contents on restore.
>

>> How would I convert it to a .xo file?
>> Is there a reference I should consult?
>>
>> I am running from the command line now.
>>

> Documentation for creating bundles is here:
>
>  http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Almanac/Activity_Bundles
>
> But I feel that backup/restore should be core Sugar functionality, not
> implemented as an activity.

Bernie;

Thanks for responding.

I am still thinking of the "sneakernet" use case where there is no
networking to use for backup.

It does NOT backup or restore the journal.

(It will restore to a new unchanged script created USB. (I am still
testing). This would be useful if
the overlay got corrupted or full..

The deja-dup functionality is neat:
"Features:
 • Support for local or remote backup locations, including Amazon S3
 • Securely encrypts and compresses your data
 • Incrementally backs up, letting you restore from any particular backup
 • Schedules regular backups"
I have "sugarized" it so that it is listed in the f3 ring as an icon.
The next step is to try to make it into a .xo bundle.
Thanks for the link.
deja-dup seems to requireit be used on the same version of Soas.iso
    ie: cannot restore RC3 to a RC2 soas stick.
Does not seem to work with f12 Blueberry. (I installed it but get errors
on restore)
Seems to require the backup USB (fat32) to be paired with a specific stick.

Tom Gilliard
satellit
still testing...: )

Link: