[Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Tarballs for release 0.88.1 due for May 17

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Fri May 7 11:17:36 EDT 2010

El Thu, 06-05-2010 a las 23:55 +0200, Sascha Silbe escribió:
> On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 01:49:23PM +0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>
> > We are also scheduling some time to go through the review queue on
> > Tuesday May 11th afternoon (UTC) and on Monday May 17th. Would be
> > great if patch submitters could check that their patches have followed
> > the current process and also that any volunteers pre-reviewed the
> > code, some links follow:
> >
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.88/Roadmap
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Code_Review
> > http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Development_Team/Code_guidelines
>
> Does that mean that all patches that are destined for 0.88.x and were
> reviewed on the mailing list need to go through review again and thus
> need to have a ticket created for them, have the patch attached to the
> ticket and mailing list review comments cut&pasted into the ticket?

Patches posted to the list quickly received a lot of feedback, including
testing and reviews. Unless this was the only way to get them ack'd by a
maintainer, I'd rather not go back to bury all our patches into the bug
tracker where they don't get nearly as much exposure.

For informational purposes, it may make sense to also attach or link the
patches to the ticket... this is orthogonal with we conduct our review
process.

Here's an example of a project that allows reviews to be done both in
the bug tracker and on the mailing list:

 http://www.x.org/wiki/Development/Documentation/SubmittingPatches

However, most patches go through the list these days. I asked on
#xorg-devel if there were some rationale behind the switch, and these
are the answers I got:

<bernie> ajax, daniels, whot: was there a public discussion when xorg
switched from doing reviews in bugzilla to doing them in the mailing
list?
<remi|work> bernie, it was more or less happening that way already,
since git makes it so easy to send patches via email
<ajax> probably in the notes about whichever xdc that was where we
talked about it...
<alanc> I'm not sure there was a lot more analysis beyond "this is what
the Linux kernel process is, so this is the way git was designed to work
and the process a lot of the same developers already have to deal with
for DRI, and it works there, while we clearly aren't reviewing the
patches in bugzilla that get ignored there for years"