[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Default ad-hoc networks

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu May 6 08:34:11 EDT 2010

simon wrote:
 > Did we settle on the naming of the network. I was in favor of 'local
 > network' as that mimics well the range of the network for me. James
 > meant that this could be confused with 'localhost', if I remember
 > correctly. 'Our network' was another option. Any good argument, or
 > another option?

surprisingly, "ad-hoc" describes them pretty well. :-)
seriously, it captures that they are informal, self-managed, and
probably temporary.

"impromptu" carries some of the same feeling.

"informal", or "casual" might work, too.  it's certainly how i
think of ad-hoc networks -- i.e., the opposite of "managed" or
"requiring infrastructure".

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org