[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Default ad-hoc networks

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Mon May 3 15:18:39 EDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Paul Fox <pgf at laptop.org> wrote:

> frederick wrote:
>  > On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de
> >wrote:
>  >
>  > > On 04/27/2010 08:54 AM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>  > >
>  > >> ...
>  > >
>  >
>  > What is missing is a badge to indicate if the network is active (someone
> has
>  > > created the adhoc network already). Any good ideas how that badge
> could look
>  > > like?
>  > >
>  >
>  > Shouldn't ad-hoc network icons be gray if empty/inactive and colored by
> the
>  > creator's Sugar Learner colors once created?
>  >
>  > If the creator's beacon stops, then subsequent beaconer's colors might
> be
>  > adopted (if you want to extract that information)[1].  Although, the
> color
>  > change may be the source of some confusion.
>
> why would anyone care who "created" an ad-hoc network?  by their
> nature (from a user's perspective) they're anonymous, especially in
> this case, where their names (as i understand it) are pre-configured.

Perhaps I'm confused by the situation?

With XO-1 mesh networks, the Neighborhood view would show 3 mesh network
icons, all in the Sugar learner's color, plus any access points in various
colors.  One would have to hover over a network to see its channel or name.
 The 3 mesh networks could not be distinguished by passive observation.
 Once a populated network is joined, Sugar learners could see any
Neighborhood Activities and associated learners and proceed to participate.

It is proposed that the ad-hoc network icons distinguish themselves in 2
ways.

First, are they populated? This allows one to join a populated network
versus an empty one, or one where you are the only member.

Second, of multiple networks (Neighborhoods), which might I want to join?
 Here, the color of the creator or successor is a hint, but a Neighborhood
name would be best.  This relates to Simon's second question.  If they all
have the same name, that is less useful than if the creator or a successor
could supply a useful name.

           --Fred