[Sugar-devel] mcnamara.tim at gmail.com

Yevlempy(Harsh Verma) yevlempy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 10:21:53 EDT 2010

Hi

I Would like to propose GSOC 2010 idea for Sugarlabs.

----The Proposal----
I would like to propose an idea of Integrating LDTP with sugar.
Gnome/LDTP[1]
(Linux Desktop Testing Project) seem to be doing this set of things for
Gnome
(and other desktops) the evince test suite includes automatic UI tests as
well.

----Advantages----
We can do a set of basic tests that simulate a user working with Sugar
basically
doing the "Smoke Test" stuff automatically. Having a fully working test
suite that
can not test those few parts will also be a  good motivation/idea  to
replace them.

----Required----

As a starter i would  need some kind of test framework that starts up Sugar
in a
virtual X server (i.e. something like xvfb), wait for Sugar to start up (for
most of the
tests - maybe some might try to crash it by activating things while the UI
is still is
achieved  by
trying  to reuse Mago[2]. And looking at the [3] we can also try to do some
thing with
xvfg.LDTP can be used to test the functionality of an accessibility enabled
application.
As sugar is build on top of the Gnome libraries, the AIUI, the Gnome
libraries already
take care of that.

----My FOSS expirence----

I have been a Fedora Ambassador[4] since a long time enjoying the open
source world.
I basically do stuff with python and pygtk(though in process of reading),
recently i have
made a control panel extension for sugar i.e font panel which codes be found
at [5].
The detailed documentation of its making can be found [6]. I also have
worked with
web framework before i.e Rubyonrails.

I would like someone to mentor me on this idea, and would love to hear up
from mentors
and developers.

[1]http://ldtp.freedesktop.org/wiki/
[2]https://launchpad.net/mago