[Sugar-devel] Hi; GSoC?

Isaac Dupree ml at isaac.cedarswampstudios.org
Tue Mar 23 03:50:35 EDT 2010

On 03/18/10 12:27, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> [1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Documentation_Team/Services/Activity_Developers_Guide
> [2] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Documentation_Team/Services/Service_Developers_Guide
> [3] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Zero_Sugar_Activities
> [4] http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2010-March/023047.html

So: I'm reading these links -- a nice place to start, on the wiki.  Then
should I have a conversation with one of you to brainstorm/figure out
what projects might be good for the future of Sugar?

(for example, if we want to have a more definitive "0sugar was a bad
idea" vs. "now we see a path for things to work great together" could
result. Has there been any particularly enlightening e-mail controversy
I could read?  Or perhaps there are some pressing engineering questions,
to solve in whichever way, and I need to get a better feel for how we
decide which questions to tackle next.)

It will be helpful to play with zero and with sugar a bit more to
re-familiarize myself with them.
Sugar Questions/issues (either a wiki pointer or response would be
excellent) :
- I downloaded Sugar-on-a-Stick image; I could run it in an emulator
(qemu-kvm) but I didn't see how to make it persistent (remember my name,
or upgraded activities, after a restart). Is there a way?
- (my MacBook BIOS doesn't like to boot from USB, unfortunately.)
- I tried installing the distro packaging of sugar (0.86.3) on my Arch
Linux x86_64, but sugar-emulator seems to turn to a black screen after I
entered name and xo-color. Hmm. The packaging-metadata looked quite
straightforwards (albeit with lots of dependencies upon dependencies and
I have no idea if they're the correct ones).

-Isaac