[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Children want Sugar 0.84, for the wrong reason

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Mon Mar 22 07:38:31 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:51, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 16:03 -0500, Martin Langhoff wrote:
>> Agreed. You can do what you are doing (run a school on newish sw, get
>> a tight feedback & bugfix loop) when someone like you is there.
> [...]
>> Yes -- but we gotta remember that it's productive (specially for
>> Sugar) because you are there. You can turn their frustration into
>> valuable info (and bugfixes). Without you, it's just frustration.
>
> Indeed :-(
>
> I'm trying to get everyone on IRC and mailing lists before I leave. In
> Nepal it worked, but here the language barrier is higher.
>
> I told everyone that Spanish is welcome in bug reports, blog posts and
> for chatting on #sugar. Many of our core developers speak Spanish
> fluently, so they could bridge information to the others.
>
> Admittedly, it's not working: people come to IRC, they see that everyone
> speaks English, and shy away. I don't believe in breaking the community
> apart in many per-language ghettos, but Spanish probably has enough
> critical mass to justify a #sugar-es (or #olpc-es) channel.

I have invested efforts in the past in that direction, but they
haven't taken off. We have sugar-desarrollo and we used to have a
channel as well, but haven't seen much use.

If we had a deployment team, we could try to make a push so that
people from different deployments talk together in an open space...

Regards,

Tomeu