[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Porting a game to Sugar

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 11:02:09 EDT 2010

Gary,

When I was working on my book I tried using the SUGAR_PROFILE
environment variable for the first time.  (Previously I had used two
computers to test).  It worked like a charm on F10 (Sugar .82) but on
F11 both instances of sugar-emulator came up as THE SAME USER.

Also, when I tried using sugar-jhbuild on F11 I found that it came up
as user "James Simmons" both times, never prompting me to enter a
name.

I asked this very list about this and was told that from .84 (I think)
onwards SUGAR_PROFILE does not work and that I should run either
sugar-jhbuild or sugar-emulator as separate Linux users.  Someone
suggested using ssh -XY for the second user.  This did seem to resolve
the problem of getting multiple users with the same name.

With sugar-jhbuild the second user came up as "Annie Simmons" (the
name on the second Linux user id) without prompting for a name.

I wrote up what I was told here:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/ActivitiesGuideSugar/SugarCollaboration

If this is NOT correct I want to know about it.  I would have to say
based on my own experience that this at least *seems* to be correct.
I don't want to lead John and others like him astray.

James Simmons