[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Porting a game to Sugar

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Mar 17 21:07:38 EDT 2010

Hi Guys,

On 17 Mar 2010, at 14:45, James Simmons wrote:

> Tomeu and everyone,
>
> John is trying to follow my instructions on setting up a collaboration
> test environment for his Sugar Activity.  It isn't working for him on
> F12 and I couldn't get my own test environment working on F11.  All
> the testing I did for the book was on F10 using Salut with the F10
> firewall program disabled.  I think my instructions are good as far as
> they go, but there may be security issues preventing them from
> working.  The only thing I can think of that MIGHT help is to use
> jabber.sugarlabs.org as a server.  It seems to me that has worked for
> me on F11 in the past.  The problem I had with it when it didn't work
> recently was that I could see others on the network but my instances
> could not see each other.  I believe this was caused by configuration
> on the server that limited the number of active users.
>
> If anyone can help him he'd be grateful.  The only things I can suggest are:
>
> 1).  Use jabber.sugarlabs.org instead of Salut.
> 2).  As a *last* resort, downgrade to F10 and disable the firewall.

FWIW: under 0.86.x (pretty sure, certainly 0.84.x) I could test local (gabble) in F11 using sugar-jhbuild by launching two instances of sugar using the SUGAR_PROFILE=..... environment variable.

I've just tried to retest this now that my F11 environment is running the latest Sugar 0.87.x and it will only launch one (the first) instance. Additional invocations for other SUGAR_PROFILE=.... values just hang with no console output unless you first kill the previous process (so not much use for testing collaboration anymore).

  SUGAR_PROFILE=1 ./sugar-jhbuild run sugar-emulator & <---- pops up file
  SUGAR_PROFILE=2 ./sugar-jhbuild run sugar-emulator & <---- have to kill above process before it appears

Any one else seeing this? I can open a ticket if someone tells me which logs would be of use for debugging this.

Regards,
--Gary