[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Width of the TitleEntry widget

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Mar 15 06:25:13 EDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 07:49:48AM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> Yes, I would set width for the text field in cells and keep the spacer
> expanding, as if the rest of the widgets are in whole cells, the
> spacer will also be.

This doesn't work.

I've done some experimentation, roughly 50 source edit and test
iterations, purely in the code that creates the toolbar child widgets.

The undesired symptom (the stop button being replaced with an overflow
menu and an arrow), occurs as a result of geometry negotiation between
the gtk.SeparatorToolItem and the other widgets in the gtk.ToolBar.

Tomeu said:
> Shouldn't we be setting a fixed width expressed in grid cells?

Makes no difference if you do, you still get the same problem if a
gtk.SeparatorToolItem is used and the available space is too small.

Walter said:
> Yes... but the horizontal-rule spacer has always violated the
> grid. So maybe the spacer and title should be together aligned to the
> grid.

Makes no difference if you do, you still get the same problem.  What
works is to remove the expand attribute of the spacer, fix the size,
and remove the spacer altogether if the share widget is present.

Have done this, 6 cells for title, 6 cells for spacer or share with,
one cell for keep, one cell for stop.  Patch attached.  Screenshots
attached.  Note how the activity title is larger than the default.

Was not able to see the HIG grid constants defined anywhere in
sugar-toolkit or sugar-base.  Can you advise, Tomeu?

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/