[Sugar-devel] [ASLO] Release Read ETexts-19

James Simmons nicestep at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 15:08:41 EDT 2010

I'd like to point out that my three Activities being released are in
the "Physician, heal thyself!" category.  In the process of writing
"Write Your Own Sugar Activities!" I found myself recommending
practices I had never used.  These new releases are a first attempt to
bring my Activities in line with my own recommendations.

I really like the way the new toolbars came out and only wish I could
use them on my XO.

I had to test these on SoaS and I discovered that the menu options to
copy something from a USB thumb drive or SD card to the Journal are
missing and apparently have been missing from some time.  The only way
to copy something from USB to the thumb drive now is to use the
clipboard.  I really, REALLY don't like this.  When I copy an Activity
or a book from thumb drive to Journal using this method I don't get
the file name as the Journal entry title.  Instead, I just get a
description based on the MIME type.  This is really, really bad.
Maybe the original fine name wasn't the best possible title for a
Journal entry but at least you had some idea of what the Journal entry
was and you could easily change it.  Now every book is just "text
clipping" and every Activity is "Sugar Activity bundle", plus getting
these lousy results is more work than just doing a straight copy to
the Journal.

The other problem I had with SoaS Blueberry was that even though I was
using a 4GB thumb drive with a 3GB overlay the Journal reported having
only 30 some megabytes free after I downloaded just a few books,
nowhere near 3GB worth.

James Simmons