[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Double clicks

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Sat Mar 6 06:34:15 EST 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 10:27:37AM +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:

> But looks like sugar doesn't use double clicks somewhere, was it done
> by
> intention e.g. double clicks are too complicated to reproduce?
Please don't require multi-clicks (double, triple) anywhere (or for that
matter, any operation where timing is critical). Even I sometimes have
trouble doing those, not to mention lots of adults I've watched using
Windows. They also don't seem to understand the distinction between
single and double clicks, usually doing double or even triple clicks for
virtually any operation that doesn't provide instant (<< 100ms)
response.

> I'm planing to use double clicks in Library activity e.g. for [1] when
> [a user] wants to select all entries he needs to double click on
> checkbox
What actions would be sensible to do on all entries? How often would a
user want to execute it on all entries?
Depending on the answers to those questions a viable option might be to
just split up the action into "[action] on selected entries" and
"[action] on all entries". Maybe even a submenu "[action]" -> "on this
entry", "on selected entries", "on all entries".

> (can't find better method,
Traditional UIs provide "Select All" and "Select None" in a menu. So one
option would be to add "Select all entries" to the contextual toolbar in
[1].

> add toolbar button looks redundant, popup menu requires several clicks
> (but could be present anyway to have explicit method)).
All of those sound much better to me than requiring timing constraints
to be met.

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal#06

CU Sascha

--