[Sugar-devel] [SLOBS] Oversight Board request: Not fully bundled .xo

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Sat Mar 6 05:59:14 EST 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 10:36:42AM +0100, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

> It may do us good to keep an eye of what Ubuntu is doing about what
> they call "opportunistic developers" and Quickly:
>
> http://www.jonobacon.org/2009/10/19/ubuntu-and-the-opportunistic-programmer/
Interesting project, even if they evade all the interesting issues we're
facing by focussing on a single distro release [1], rebuilding only for
a small number of architectures (e.g. not PowerPC [2]).
The OpenSuSE build service goes a single step further by enabling
uploaders to build for several different RPM-based distros (*), using
some template magic. Building spec files for multiple RPM distros is
non-trivial.
Besides

1. xo bundles without binary blobs and no dependencies outside Sugar
Platform and
2. maybe 0install/0sugar (which I still need to give a close look)

I have yet to see anything (except for vapourware) that even remotely
solves the goal of

a) easy sharing of activities
b) between any two users (distro and architecture agnostic)
c) who can connect to each other, but not to the internet ("under the
tree scenario")

Personally, I won't settle for anything that cannot solve all of a), b)
and c) on systems meeting a reasonable baseline (i.e. installed build
tools and sufficient storage space).
A build service (for multiple distros + architectures) can be quite
useful for resource-constrained systems (and is one thing I still intend
to provide on our build slaves), but must not be mandatory.

[1] https://answers.launchpad.net/soyuz/+question/86040
[2] https://answers.launchpad.net/soyuz/+question/101651
(*) It claims to support Debian as well, but last time I checked it
didn't publish Debian _source_ repositories which are mandatory for the
service to be useful IMO.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/