[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] multiple IM accounts

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net
Fri Mar 5 09:52:18 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 15:45, Benjamin M. Schwartz
<bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
>> But if someone has good ideas about how to expose contacts from
>> mutiple accounts, here is the thread.
>
> I think there are lots of interesting ways to do that.  For example,
> Bitfrost specifies that each user is identified by a cryptographic public
> key.  To certify that an account is mine, I could include a tag somewhere
> in the buddy properties that displays my public key and signs the
> identifier with my Sugar private key.  Then Sugar can safely merge any two
> buddies with the same public key (after verifying the signatures).
>
> Really, though, I am strongly in favor of implementing, stabilizing, and
> releasing network switching _before_ implementing concurrent network logins.

As far as we don't have a decent design for contacts from multiple
accounts, there isn't much point in discussing its implementation. But
we still have lots of stuff that don't depend on that for making
progress on. I'm now looking at removing the dependency of the shell
on the presence service.

Regards,

Tomeu