[Sugar-devel] F11-0.88 unmerged patches summary

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jun 29 21:57:02 EDT 2010

Here's an executive summary of all outstanding patches in my queue:

  http://people.sugarlabs.org/bernie/sugar/sugar-0.88-patches/

Most of these have already been submitted to sugar-devel@ or attached
to tickets in bugs.sugarlabs.org.

Some of these patches have outstanding quality issues, but all of
them have been integrated and tested for a while in F11-0.88 and together
contribute to a better Sugar experience.

== Bugfixes ==

 sugar-toolkit/use-set_toolbar_box-in-example-code.patch
 sugar-toolkit/set-default-accelerators-for-Copy-and-Paste-buttons.patch

These have been ack'd by Alsroot. Do we also need Erikos' approval?

 sugar-toolkit/sl1842-notify-red-alert.patch
 sugar/sl1842-journal-error-messates.patch

The review has been swamped by a design discussion. It's not clear what Anish
should do to pass review.

 sugar-toolkit/sl1948-Race-condition-with-name-widget-in-the-activ.patch

This patch has a corner case in which it fails to update the activity
name, but I think it's still a little better than the current behavior.
See ticket for details.

 sugar/add-font-dpi-schema.patch

This is a companion patch of a fix sugar-settings-manager which has
already landed in git. It's needed by xulrunner (Browse).

 sugar/avoid-popping-an-empty-list-in-the-software-updater.patch

Works, but James Cameron's posted a better counter-patch. Merge that one.

 sugar/click-on-journal-icons-with-a-exclusive-time-frame.patch

Requested by the Waveplace folks. Please merge.

 sugar/dynamically-set-number-of-control-panel-columns.patch

The approach to comoute the column width is wrong, but it produces better
results than the current fixed number of columns. So, for now, I'm keeping it
around.

 sugar/fix-duplication-of-OLPC-mesh-icons.patch
 sugar/fix-for-file-list-sorting-for-FAT32-formatted-flash-drives-in-journal.patch

All the above have no issues to my knowledge and should be merged.

 sugar/use-the-spanish-verb-quitar-for-unmounting-devices.patch

Better-than-nothing patch, but the real fix would require a gettext
kludge in the code (see http://bugs.python.org/issue2504 )

== Minor bugfixes ==

 sugar-toolkit/fix-two-trivial-shell-log-warnings.patch

Reviewed on sugar-devel, should be merged.

 sugar-toolkit/sl1876.patch

Patch is in comment 2 of the ticket. It has been overlooked becuase
the ticket had also an attachment.

 sugar/fix-name-clash-set_state.patch

Should be merged.

== New Features ==

 sugar/backup-0001-Volumes-Backup-and-Restore.patch
 sugar/backup-0002-Journal-XS-backup-and-restore.patch

There are concerns about restore deleting new entries since the
last backup. I agree, but since nobody seems to have the time to
implement and test a more sophisticated procedure, at this time
this is the best restore feature we have for Sugar.

== Cleanups ==

 sugar/simplify-the-definition-of-UpdateModel._bundles_to_check..patch

Merge.

 sugar-toolkit/remove-incomplete-MANIFEST-support.patch

The incomplete design and implementation of MANIFEST files has been laying
around for 3 years. We can choose to clean it up now, or let it bitrot for
another 3 years.

== Experimental patches ==

 sugar/set-default-scaling-to-100.patch

This is only required on the XO. We should really autodetect this.

 sugar/cpu-and-memory-resource-indicator.patch

Not yet reviewed on sugar-devel at . Not even tested by us yet.

 sugar-artwork/sl2006-icons-for-touchpad-panel.patch
 sugar/sl2006-touchpad-section-for-control-panel.patch
 sugar/sl2006-file-exists-check.patch

Walter's XO-1 touchpad control panel. For me, it could already go in, but it
would be nice to add a global shortcut such as alt-shift-t, and maybe move the
functionality to a frame icon, for fast switching.

 sugar-toolkit/change-keep-string-to-keep-a-copy.patch

Several alternatives have been suggested on the list, but nobody implemented
them, so this one still stands.

 sugar-toolkit/kill-the-delayed-menus-for-good.patch

This change has been at the center of a huge design / UX / testing flame war a
while ago. I've merged it to observe user reactions, so
hopefully we can have a polite discussion based on some real data.

 sugar/backup-0003-Journal-documents-volume-button.patch

We no longer need this feature since we decided to disable Gnome, but other
deployments may find it useful. (but journal crashes when you drop files on
the icon)

== Patches with outstanding issues ==

 sugar-datastore/0001-Add-ctime-and-timestamp-properties-to-the-index.patch
 sugar-datastore/0002-Add-migration-from-DS-v0-code-for-the-new-properties.patch
 sugar-datastore/0003-increment-CURRENT_LAYOUT_VERSION-to-trigger-an-index-rebuild.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0000-cover-letter.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0001-Journal-Retrieve-filesize-from-the-datastore.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0002-Add-a-filesize-column-to-the-journal-list-model.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0003-Journaltoolbox-Add-add_separator-method-for-convenie.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0004-Add-a-ListViewButton-to-the-journal-search-toolbar.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0005-Rename-the-date-column-to-sort_column.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0006-Display-the-sorting-property-in-the-last-column.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0007-Expandedentry-Try-to-use-the-filesize-property.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0008-Implement-sorting-for-removable-devices.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0009-Add-sort-by-creation-time-option-to-the-ListViewButt.patch
 sugar/sizelist-0010-Add-ctime-property-to-the-journal-model.patch

Andres' series for sorting the journal by size. There's an outstanding
problem with ctime being an integer rather than a string, as expected
by Etoys. Andres is working on a fix.

 sugar-toolkit/sugar-toolkit-dont-configure-fonts.patch
 sugar/sugar-enable-settings-manager.patch

We had to temporarily exclude these because sugar-settings-manager does
not yet work well on F11-0.88.

== Obsolete patches ==

 sugar/pe558-add-option-to-mount-any-user-directory-to-journal.patch
 sugar/pe558-backup-restore-front-end-for-control-panel.patch
 sugar/pe558-journal-management-control-panel-feature.patch
 sugar/pe558-modify-volumnestoolbar-to-mount-a-directory.patch

This patch set has been replaced by Tincho's Journal-based backup/restore
functionality. Keeping these patches around in case someone else prefers
the control panel UI.