[Sugar-devel] Python tutorial for Pippy

Dinko Galetic dinko.galetic at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 10:23:24 EDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 3:47 PM, samir menon <menon.samir at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been looking for something like this for quite a while. I am going
> to try to teach my little brother, (about 10) , to learn programming, and
> this seems like the perfect way to do it.

You could not have picked better words to say to a teacher (though "here's a
million dollars" would also be nice), so thank you. :)

-I am on python 3.1, was this written in 2.6 or something?

Yes, that's right (2.6), it's not a Windows/Linux thing.
If you're interested in teaching your brother Python 3.x, lowercase() got
replaced with ascii_lowercase(), and "print something" now has to be
"print(something)". Python 2.6 supports both "print x" and "print(x)",
however I chose the former approach in my tutorial because it's a bit
simpler and I can postpone explaining functions a bit. I plan to show that
"print(x)" also works, but after the lesson on functions.

> Other than that (by looking at your code) I see that this is an awesome
> program! [?]

Glad to hear it. Stick around - I'll be posting the rest of my lessons when
I get enough thumbs-up on this one.

Kind regards,
Dinko Galetic