[Sugar-devel] [RFC] Better disk format for journal entries

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sun Jun 27 07:08:58 EDT 2010

On 27.06.2010, at 05:06, Michael Stone wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I've longed, for quite some time, for an encoding of Sugar's journal entries
> that is more amenable to manipulation with standard Linux tools and APIs. I've
> also longed for a format that is friendly to rainbow and which can encode both
> the data necessary for today's journal as well as the data necessary for Eben's
> Journal redesign mockups.
>
> A few days ago, I wrote a little bit about what I think such a format might
> look like over here:
>
>   http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2010-June/024908.html
>
> Unfortunately, this note didn't generate much of a response

Duh! Who would have expected that the actual message went on below the top-reply and quote? I have simply not seen it. Even glancing over it now it did not read like an actual proposal.

> -- thus, to whet
> your appetite further, here's a (rough!) exporter from today's DS into the
> format sketched in that note, available both in the the patch following this
> note and in my combined sugar git repo [1] in the "xos" branch.
>
> Already, I find it helpful both for browsing my DS with filesystem tools and
> for resuming activities from the Terminal.
>
> What cool things can you think of to do with it?
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael
>
> [1]: Links to my sugar git repo:
>
>    http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/mstone/sugar/commit/?h=xos
>    http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/mstone/sugar/snapshot/sugar-xos.tar.gz
>    git://dev.laptop.org/users/mstone/sugar

I like the directory layout. Could you explain why you see a need for the generality of a custom "./resume" script?

- Bert -