[Sugar-devel] Proposal release management

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri Jun 25 02:57:27 EDT 2010

On 06/24/2010 11:49 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 24.06.2010, at 09:32, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> in May I tried to find someone to replace me as release manager [1] for
>> 0.90, but as nobody has stepped up to do the job as we defined it I
>> decided that it will be best to keep this role for some more time. I
>> think it will be important for Sugar that we keep some continuation of
>> the processes that we have been setting up during the last years. It
>> would also be very good if someone would like to lend a hand with this
>> or shadow me for future tasks so more people in Sugar Labs have direct
>> hands-on knowledge.
>>
>> We defined the role of the release manager in the past 3 releases like
>> the following:
>>
>> * setting the schedule
>> * make sure that the Feature process is followed by the submitters [2]
>> * keeping the wiki updated about the released modules and making sure to
>> have final release notes available
>> * sending email reminders about approaching Freezes, tarball due dates etc
>>
>> The schedule would be based on the GNOME releases, a 6 month release
>> cycle. As there is not much time left for 0.90 [3] I think we should
>> mainly focus on stabilizing and landing the features that were left over
>> from the last release. I would start to announce a time frame for future
>> releases so that future development can go on. New Features would be
>> handled by the Feature process, as it has been the case in the past.
>>
>> What do others think about this?
>
> I think thanks are in order. It's a solid, low-risk plan for the "last mile" in our development cycle. Now we just need to get our acts together in covering the middle ground, so you actually have something to release :)
>
> To that extent I proposed to the Etoys developers to follow the Sugar development cycle more closely. And that's what we're going to do.
>
> Thank you for stepping up again!
>
> - Bert -

Hi Bert,

awesome! Happy to hear that Etoys, a very important part of the Sugar
experience, is rowing with us. I like the approach of Etoys to follow
the Sugar release cycle. Similar to what Sugar does, we follow the GNOME
cycle and they make sure that we are on track with the various
distributions. Standing on the shoulders of giants...

Regards,
    Simon