[Sugar-devel] R&D vs Product Support

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jun 22 21:52:53 EDT 2010

El Mon, 21-06-2010 a las 10:06 -0400, Martin Langhoff escribió:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 3:46 AM, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> > Sorry, I was asking about splitting the "staff".
>
> Here I agree with Tomeu. A subtext of my "experimental branches" post
> is that we're too small to split people into clubs (and it's
> counterproductive anyway).

In any given open source community, there will always be a certain
number of people who are interested in building their own thing rather
than working on the central project. The choice is between enabling
these people to be productive on their parallel project, or loosing
their contribution altogether.

One obvious example is the live Sugar distros: SoaS, Ubuntu Sugar Remix
(USR) and Trisquel Sugar. It might be better to concentrate our scarce
resources on just one distro... but I don't see how those involved with
the other two projects would ever want to join in.

SIGs and experimental branches are a great way to leverage extra talent
that would otherwise go wasted. Sometimes, an experimental project turns
into something very useful... It's hard to tell before someone tries.

> But we all have experimental / controversial / not quite mergeable patches :-)

I certainly have a bunch :-)