[Sugar-devel] A Tale of Sugar and Pippy

Anish Mangal anishmangal2002 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 10:05:25 EDT 2010

>>      I can think of no other operating system
>>      which so directly brought his interest from theory to reality.

>>  +1: I can think of no other operating system and application which so
>>      directly exposes us to the possibility and desirability of making small
>>      changes.

I agree (as well)

>> Anyone have thoughts on what "stepping stones" Sugar and Pippy ought
>> to provide to make this act of reflection and sharing feel as natural
>> as the act of starting Pippy or of making the change that we want to
>> describe and to share?

>> Here, we reach the end of my tale. You see, my friend and I agreed that our
>> desired next step would be to send our change to sugar-devel@ along with, well,
>> this story.

Ok, I'm a little confused here. There are two perspectives to this.
One perspective is experienced developers hacking pippy/python
examples and submitting suggestions/improvements and the other is
concerning people (primarily students) learning python; experimenting,
learning and sharing. Am I correct in assuming that we're discussing
the latter here?

> For merging the improvements as part of the Infinite_monkey_theorem, we
> would need to bring the change back from the user into the development
> community, and provide feedback to the user.  We might not be able to
> depend on an e-mail path.  So I envisage a small web application on
> sugarlabs.org that would provide these features:
>
> 1.  submission of example improvements, which are inserted into a branch
> in a git repository, where the branch is named for the user,
>
> 2.  status view of their submission branch, using a journal entry of a
> Browse bookmark,
>
> 3.  download of other submission branches by users,
>
> 4.  scoring and voting by other users.

Excellent suggestion. I'd go one step further and suggest developing a
simple interface within Pippy that can communicate with the web
server/application and implement the features listed above.

--
Anish Mangal