[Sugar-devel] Hypothetical sugar-0.90 material, draft 1.

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Jun 16 12:27:55 EDT 2010

On 06/14/2010 08:03 PM, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:

>>> Can someone explain me what a development manager is?
>>>
>>> Didn't we talk about about Release Management? I hope people don't want
>>> to throw away what we have been establishing over the last releaeses.
>>> Our release and Feature process have been in place for several releases
>>> and to change that there should be good reasons to do so. I don't see
>>> any yet.
>>
>> +1.
>>
>> I would also very much like our next RM to preserve our 6-months release
>> cycle and keep it synchronized with the major Linux distros, like GNOME
>> and other high-profile projects do.
>
> FWIW, I think that keeping Sugar aligned with GNOME and other
> downstreams of the GNOME platform will be key for putting a limit to
> the growing maintenance costs.
>
>> This does not imply that we cannot ever do very large restructuring of
>> our codebase, if needed. This kind of work just needs to happen in a
>> development trees and be merged when it's sufficiently stable.
>
> Right, other projects keep the 6 month cycle and do radical revampings
> from time to time. We can also do it if it's really worth it.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tomeu

Ideally there should be short term and long term planning. That is why I
drafted the 0.90 schedule already at the beginning of the 0.88 cycle.
Other projects, for example Ubuntu, are doing the same. This allows to
do long term planning and gives bigger features or changes a way to
developed accordingly and landed.

I saw the talk from Mark Shuttleworth at Linuxtag and he said a few
words on Releases, and why is makes sense to bundle forces. Basically,
bundling forces is a powerful idea behind open source. We are a small
project, if we keep being aligned with all the bigger projects
especially gnome we will profit from this joined efforts a lot.

Regards,
    Simon