[Sugar-devel] depending on introspection

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu.vizoso at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 11:04:56 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 16:59, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> I don't know about RH, but @ litl we're using all-introspected
> bindings w/ a distro based on Ubuntu Hardy.  So "backporting"
> shouldn't be too painful, really.

glib sounds to me like the most problematic dependency to backport.

I think RHEL's case is a bit different because litl OS is used only by
litl but RHEL is supposed to be used in wildly different use cases.
But well, that decision belongs to RH.

> (Of course, we're not using the python introspection, so you might
> have other troubles there.)
>
> +1 on introspection in general.  Hopefully the python introspection
> support is sufficiently lazy -- we certainly haven't had any startup
> issues w/ gjs.

Right now we lazily import anything in the module scope, and eagerly
anything inside classes, etc. But this should be reconsidered again
when we start profiling real-life apps.

There's certainly a big reduction in the work performed at process
startup, but the biggest advantage IMO is memory usage.

Regards,

Tomeu