[Sugar-devel] activity updater

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jun 15 09:14:24 EDT 2010

El Mon, 14-06-2010 a las 11:41 -0500, David Farning escribió:

> To give credit where credit is due, the ASLO updater is just a update
> of Scott's code to parse the xml ASLO dynamically creates rather than
> micoroformat.

Ah, I thought it was a rewrite because the codebase is so much shorter
and simpler. Which is what I like about it.

> > For the F11-0.88, we have a dilemma: the new updater is missing some
> > crucial features that deployments were relying upon.
>
> What missing features are important?

For our use-cases, these would suffice:

1) Activity groups (one is sufficient). This lets deployments point the
updater at a page containing a list of activities to add or update. As a
side-effect, it also lets teachers quickly restore deleted activities.

2) Configurable update URL (I think the old updater used a gconf key)

3) Also add/update content bundles

4) Support for the olpc microformat, which is nice, simple, fast and
already supported by the schoolserver. We don't want to force everyone
to go through ASLO for updates.

Some time ago, Daniel posted a longer list.

On the ASLO side, we need to add one php page to output an activity
collection with microformat tags in it. The already existing collection
summary page in ASLO was inadequate (can't remember why, maybe because
it used pagination).

We also need to add the ability to specify exact versions of each
activity in a collection, otherwise deployments will be hit by untested
and possibly broken activities as they are released by the owners.