[Sugar-devel] activity updater

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Jun 14 05:02:40 EDT 2010

On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 23:51, Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> wrote:
> El Sun, 13-06-2010 a las 20:55 +0100, Gary C Martin escribió:
>> OK, not strictly a patch but attached is an updated version of
>> the currently malformed svg module-updater icon that's not
>> drawing correctly in F13. Not sure who this needs to get to
>
>> (could only find it in Bernie's old depreciated software
>> update git rep). It should live in the filesystem at:
>>
>>       /usr/share/sugar/data/icons/module-updater.svg
>
> There are two updaters: the old one written by C.Scott, which is the one
> in my obsolete repo and Fedora packages, and a new one written from
> scratch by DFarning for ASLO, which lives in the sugar repository.
>
> For the F11-0.88, we have a dilemma: the new updater is missing some
> crucial features that deployments were relying upon.
>
> Daniel Drake and I discussed possible solutions when he visited
> Paraguay. There are two equally acceptable possibilities:
>
> 1) is adding the missing features to the new codebase, which shouldn't
> be too hard but needs someone to do it by mid-July maximum. Anyone
> available?
>
> 2) The other possibility is adding the OLPC microformat support to ASLO
> and reverting to the old updater, which would mean less developer time
> but reintroduces the dependency on bitfrost which we'd rather keep away
> from the Sugar codebase.
>
> Or even a combination of the two. The new query protocol is very slow,
> so we might want to teach ASLO about the microformat anyway. When I
> checked the php code with Daniel, it seemed very easy to do.
>
> Alsroot and I discussed the possibility to add .xol support to ASLO.
> While we agree that ASLO isn't a very good fit for static content, we're
> going to support .xol for the utilitarian purpose of making the updater
> work in F11-0.88.

Wish I had time to help with that, but I wanted to mention that I
greatly admire the work you have been doing since you arrived in
Paraguay.

I specially value your understanding of what is required in the field
to make Sugar fulfill its mission and wish people like you had more
voice in SLs as opposed to "visionaries".

Regards,

Tomeu