[Sugar-devel] core maintainers

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Fri Jun 11 19:49:33 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 01:58:32PM -0500, David Farning wrote:
> Over the past couple of months, Activity Central has been establishing
> a network of developers to provide service and support for
> deployments.

I assume they're paid, otherwise why would you (Activity Central) not
just "establish" such people into the normal SugarLabs network.

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is "Deployment Support Network"?
>
> Sugar Labs has expressed the importance of more code contributions
> from deployments.  Deployments have expressed an interest in fixing
> their own bugs.  The Deployment Support Network fills that gap.

What gap?  The gap between getting code from deployments and...
deployments who want to write code?

What is "Deployment Support Network"?  In particular, who are they and
how/why are they distict from Sugar Labs "members" (basically anyone
who wants to submit a patch or write an email to sugar-devel@)?

> Initial, I had reservations about the maintainship roles these
> developers would hold at Sugar Labs.  In light of the current backlog
> of patches and the heavy burden a few core developers are holding, I
> would like  work with the Sugar Labs development team to determine the
> process for experienced developers to become maintainers.

You've totally avoided Walter's question (AFAICS) and then gingerly
formulated an missive that, despite some mysterious reservations,
seems to imply that you think the "[SL] development team" will resist
having "experienced developers [...become] maintainers".  Why would
you think that?

> david

Martin