[Sugar-devel] GCompris packaging

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Fri Jun 11 16:22:34 EDT 2010

Le jeudi 10 juin 2010 à 15:49 -0400, Bernie Innocenti a écrit :
> (copying the tecnologia@ and sugar-devel@ lists for their information)
>
> The new strategy of pulverizing GCompris into a hundred tiny bundles
> made it unmanageable with the current shell (updater, launcher,
> switcher, etc).

It's always the same with technology, going back and forth, full versus
bundle, thin client versus fat...

So far GCompris could be package in multi activity bundles without
problem. It already support this, you can just test it by running
"gcompris -l /math", it will show you all the activities under the /math
menu. All we miss is a way to create such bundles where all the
resources of a bundle group are together.

> After separate discussions with Pacita and Aleksey, we all seem to agree
> that GCompris needs to be repackaged differently. From a technical
> standpoint, breaking GCompris into 4-5 activities would be ideal.

We could follow the top level organisation of GCompris in which we have
8 sections:
computer
discovery
experience
fun
math
puzzle
reading
strategy

> However, it's not clear yet how the break should be done to make it more
> useful in the classroom: by subject? by age group? by curriculum?

Any other splitting is fine for me. We already embed a difficulty level
(1 to 6) that could be use to create bundles.

I have not yet checked Aleksey work on bunding GCompris on Sugar so we
have to check how hard it would be to update the bundling process.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids