[Sugar-devel] Updating SoaS CD Helper?

Art Hunkins abhunkin at uncg.edu
Thu Jun 10 16:03:49 EDT 2010

Here's what I know about the SoaS CD Helper:

On Pentium III machines (Win 2000, ME, 98) SoaS Strawberry and Blueberry
boot fine; Mirabelle (Fedora 13) doesn't.

Mirabelle fails (gets stuck) after the completion of the SoaS 1 bar at the
bottom of the screen, with the message:
Unable to ennumerate USB device on port X (1 or 2)

FWIW as well, my fairly modern dual-core AMD desktop also fails when booting
Mirabelle from CD Helper. This too is right after completion of the SoaS 1
bar, but with blank screen except for a blinking dot in upper left corner.
Keyboard is active, and pressing Alt-F4 brings up a login screen:
localhost login:
above which appears:
Fedora release 13 (Goddard)

My desktop also fails to boot SoaS *Blueberry* from CD Helper. Here the
message, on otherwise blank screen, is:
BD: barrier-based sync failed on dm-0:8  disabling barriers

Bottom line?: Perhaps if CD Helper could be gotten to work on current
systems (especially with Mirabelle), it would also work on the older
machines.

I'd be happy to be a tester, especially as I've a variety of older units.

Art Hunkins